tax search & pay

Automobile Titles

Driver's Licenses & Personal Identification Cards

General Information - Vehicle Registration

Automobile Titles

  • You must have Alabama insurance on your vehicle before it can be tagged.
  • You must have a valid driver’s license (any state) or an Alabama ID when registering a vehicle.
  • You must be a resident of Clay County to have vehicles registered here.
  • You have 20 calendar days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle.
  • If you do not renew your tag during your renewal month or if you are over your 20 days registering your vehicle, a $15.00 penalty will be added.
  • Alabama does not title watercraft.
  • We accept the following methods of payment only: cash, check, debit or credit card and money orders.  We do not accept out of state checks, unless you are an active member of the military.


In-State Title Transfers


Buyer must present the following documents:

  • Original title signed over to buyer on back of title.
  • Bill of Sale

Buyer will pay the following fees:

  • Title fee of $20.00
  • Sales tax of 2% for state tax, 1.1% for county tax, and 0.65% for city tax. City tax only applies if you live inside Ashland or Lineville city limits.
  • Any applicable advalorem tax and license fees

No strike-outs or alterations are permitted in assignments. All signatures must be identical to names on the supporting documents. White-out will void the title completely.

  • If the previous owner of the vehicle is deceased, the following applies:
  • If will was probated, buyer will present documents noted above along with “Letters of Testamentary” and a copy of the death certificate.
  • If will was not probated, buyer must present a copy of the death certificate and a “Next of Kin” form which must include the notarized signature of the individual named as next of kin. This form can be picked up at the Probate Office.
  • If there are more than one next of kin then all next of kin must provide a notarized statement releasing each heir’s interest.

Drivers Licenses & Personal Identification Cards

Persons who have never had an Alabama Driver License or ID card must apply at the Driver License Examiner’s Office. Please contact this office for further information. 256-354-3685 Wednesday 9:00a.m. until 2:00 p.m.


License Re-Instatement

Persons with a suspended driver’s license must apply to the Department of Public Safety for re-instatement.  Upon payment of re-instatement fees, the applicant may obtain a duplicate drivers license at any Probate Office in Alabama with the letter of re-instatement as well as two forms of identification.


Motorized Vessel License

Persons 12 years and older may operate a motorized vessel on Alabama waterways. You must be licensed.  A written examination is required for applicants, except those who are 40 or older on April 28, 1954, or those who have successfully completed boating courses given by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, the U.S. Power Squadron or the Alabama Marine Police “Boating Basics” course.  The vessel class “V” must be added to your license if you intend to operate a motorized vessel. You can do this at the Drivers License Examiner office.


Counterfeit Licenses/IDs


Fraudulent and counterfeit driver licenses and ID cards should be reported to the Alabama Department of Public Safety by calling 334-353-7091.

Note: CLAY COUNTY DRIVERS LICENSE EXAMINERS OFFICE  is now open on the 2nd Wednesday in each month. (If you have questions, contact the Jacksonville Drivers License Examiner at 256-435-7006 daily.)

  Back to Top